Sunday, February 19, 2012

How Much Do I Need To Pray?


Often when I lead a prayer seminar at a church or organization I will have a lay person approach me and ask, "Who are you, where did you come from and why isn't my pastor teaching me these things?"  Then a pastor or a leader within the organization will approach me and ask, "Really, Clyde, how much do I need to pray?"  In asking this question, some Christian leaders are asking me to give a them a specific amount of time so they can do it and check off their daily to do list.  Other Christian leaders, may discount my suggestion as being too much time in light of their busy schedules.  
I always respond by telling Christian leaders, "I don't know.  I can't tell you how much time you should spend in prayer."  I remind him of the words of Jesus as He prayed to the Father the night before He was crucified, "I have brought You glory on earth by completing the work you gave Me to do."  I suggest, "At the end of the day, when you look back on your day, ask God, 'Father, did I bring You glory today by completing the work You gave me to do?'  'If you cannot answer yes, you may want to pray more."  I continue, "At the end of the week, when you are resting on the Sabbath and reflect on your past week and ask God, 'Lord, did I bring You glory this past week by completing the work You gave me to do?"  I continue, "At the end of the quarter, the end of the year, and you ask the question, 'Father, did I bring You glory on earth by completing the work You gave me to do this past quarter, this past year?' "  Again, I suggest, "If you cannot answer, 'Yes.'  Then you may want to pray more."  
The next question I suggest they ask the Father is, "Father, what is the work of prayer I need to do so I can complete the work you gave me to do."  Then pray, "Father, fill me with the knowledge of Your will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding that I may know what to do and how to do it as I pray for the kingdom and seek to complete the work You have given me to do."  I want to suggest that Christian leaders might be led to  engage in and lead a variety of prayer efforts, praying both personally and with their  teams.  When he has done the work of prayer and persists in it, both personally and with his teams, he will complete the work the Father has given him to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment